- Cost-efficiency– PoE eliminates the cost of hiring professional electrical installers.
- Quick Deployment– PoE simply requires plugging in networking cabling to the proper equipment in order to function correctly.
- Flexibility– Network administrators can deploy powered devices at nearly any location. Shielded cabling can be used for outdoor environments. Industrial-grade powered devices can be used for industrial environments.
- Safety– Because PoE utilizes a relatively low voltage, it presents low risks of electrical hazards.
- Reliability– PoE falls under IEEE’s strict 802.3 standard umbrage.
- Scalability– PoE makes it simple to add new equipment to a network.
The most common types of PoE utilisation include:
- VoIP phones
- IP cameras
- Wireless Access Points
However, PoE can also power other devices including:
- PoE lighting
- ATM machines
- IP Intercoms
- Security Card Readers
- IP Clocks
- Vending Machines